Window on Kisiizi

Window on Kisiizi

Tuesday 10 December 2013

Countdown...

Maternity on a quiet day
Lots of plates spinning at present as we prepare not only for Christmas and Ruth's visit but also for Hanna organising a maternity tea party next weekend, sorting out 50 people arriving from Mbarara on a mission here for a week and coming on the same day there is a wedding party in the Kisiizi primary school hall not to mention the continued heavy workload on maternity.
I was thinking the other day as I was cutting Hanna's hair that life can be quite busy.  And, this very morning, as I prepared Hanna's breakfast, I was mentally ticking off the things I need to do before leaving on Thursday to travel down to Kigali to catch a night flight to Nairobi to connect to a day flight to Amsterdam... then on to see relatives including Hanna's dad, then back to Schipol to fly to Manchester. Then on the following Wednesday to World Health Organization for interesting meetings in Geneva.
So at the weekend, while I was polishing Hanna's shoes, I was contemplating that my retirement is quite varied and I can't complain of boredom!
Right, having teased my dear wife I have to be honest and say she does far more for me than I ever do for her and I am so grateful!  It can be high pressure here and having such faithful and loving support is a great blessing.
Of course we have learnt over the years that we can never guess what may happen... for example about 3 weeks ago we heard that the Banyakigezi, a group of influential successful citizens from this region living in Uganda or overseas want to encourage more tourism in Kisiizi, partly relating to the history that in the past tragically many unmarried girls who became pregnant were pushed over the waterfall.  Thankfully what was a place of despair, killing and death has now become a place of hope, healing and life and we want to portray that transformation in some sort of monument.  They may be bringing around a hundred people on 28th December to visit!  There is actually a lot of interesting history here with the original flax factory building having been built by prisoners of war, and the whole story of the hydro-electricity plus a beautiful location with amazing birds...

Then into the new year we hope to have  Management Away Days to plan strategically for the coming year.

No comments:

Post a Comment